Monday, October 31, 2011

Havana's Birthday Festival!

At the Dugger house we don't just do birthdays... we do birthday festivals. Several day celebrations! On October 4th our little playgroup celebrated all the birthdays in October... Havana was the only one and so everyone sang happy birthday to her. It took her a minute to realize they were all singing to her, but then she broke out in a huge smile. I loved it.

On October 17th we had her "friend" birthday party. It was at a local bakery. We could have up to 10 kids (including Havana) and the children were able to decorate cookies and cupcakes and then ate cake and ice cream.. sang songs.. etc. It was cute and sweet and special. Havana enjoyed it and loved having people sing her Happy Birthday again.


Everyone singing Happy Birthday at her friend party.


sitting with her friends at her party!


Then, October 28th was her third birthday. Jason and I woke her up by singing happy birthday to her. We spent the morning at playgroup that morning and then to Chuck-E-Cheese. When she ran into playgroup she yelled, "It's My Birthday!"  After nap time we went to toys R us to get her a small birthday gift from us. That night we sang her happy birthday and let her eat some ice cream!

The next day, the 29th, we had her family party. My parents and Jason's mom came down and it was a simple "Princess Party" complete with a princess themed cake. Havana again enjoy it and kept exclaiming, "It's my birthday party." This really was the first year she grasped and took ownership of her special day and that warmed my heart.


Princess Cake!!!! 

Jonah and Selah were troopers during the festival. I'm glad they are still a little young to experience any jealousy. I remember struggling with other's birthdays growing up and being that mommy who never wants my kids to have a hurt feeling I'm dreading that time they have trouble celebrating with their sibling, but thankfully I can make that into a teachable moment about sharing in other's joy.

It's hard to believe my oldest is three! I watch her as she is becoming a little girl: using her imagination, loving to play dress up, etc. and I think, "was it really three years ago you were a tiny newborn baby?" Time is flying... can someone please slow it down?! Ha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment